When you look at your website every day, it’s easy to forget to question whether it’s giving your customers the best possible experience. After all, you know where everything is, and how to navigate around it. And you probably don’t spend all that much time looking at it from your phone.
But your website isn’t operating in a void; the world around it, and the people who use it, are constantly evolving, and their expectations are, too. You’ve probably heard the statistic that it takes only a split second for users to form an opinion of your website, but did you know that 2 in 5 people will abandon a website if it hasn’t loaded within three seconds?
Bringing a good page experience in 2021 is about more than just pretty pictures and cohesive branding (although those are both important, too). It’s about rolling up your sleeves and tackling the more technical stuff, as well as making sure the frontend elements are all providing the clearest journey.
Here are the six areas that should be your key focus:
- Revisit your homepage image. You probably no longer pay attention to your hero image, but you can bet your visitors do. In fact, research shows they spend 5.94 seconds looking at it.
- Check your fonts. Are they readable? Are the most important parts the boldest parts?
- Assess your site’s visual hierarchy. Do you have clear CTAs? Can customers navigate back to your homepage by clicking your logo?
- Make sure your content is personalized – or at the very least, localized. 54% of users prefer personal online experiences, and 40% won’t buy products in other languages.
- Adopt a mobile-first attitude to design. Mobile ecommerce now makes up 71% of total traffic (with the pandemic having accelerated greatly accelerated its growth). Is your site better-suited to the 71%, or the 29%?
- Prioritize load speeds. It isn’t the most glamorous job, but it could well be the most important one. There are plenty of steps you can take yourself to reduce your page load time, but some more technical fixes could require extra dev help.
Website Builder Expert have explored these six key topics – and the stats behind the recommendations – in more detail in the infographic below: