Do you find yourself lacking the basics of interior design principles? These trends are constantly changing year by year, so it’s best to stay on top of interior design styles and trends.
Let’s be honest, decorating a home from scratch isn’t a walk in the park. Whether you’re leaning toward Bohemian, Mid-Century Modern, or another interior design style altogether, we have the solution for you. In this guide, you’ll learn how to identify and execute basic design principles to create the home of your dreams.
The Principles of Interior Design
First things first, once you understand the principle elements of interior design, you can craft and customize any space to make it your own. In interior design, there are seven core elements that most designers utilize. These elements are:
- Texture is the way something feels in a room. Use texture in your room through textile features like rugs, carpeting, and wall hangings.
- Space is the layout of objects in a room. You can either aim for an equal balance of furnishings or utilize negative space to make a room feel larger.
- Patterns like floral wallpaper and repeating elements in a room’s objects can help diversify your space.
- Light can enhance your space by using different kinds of drapery and light fixtures.
- Form refers to the shape of the room and the objects inside it. These shapes can be geometric or organic.
- Line adds structure to your room. You can use sharp horizontal or vertical lines through streamlined furniture and architecture.
- Color is the element that fills out the rest of the room. Many spaces stick to neutral colors, but maximalist design uses all kinds of bright colors.
Trending Interior Design Styles in 2022
Now that you know about the seven elements of interior design, you can utilize them in these trending interior design styles.
Bohemian interior design—often referred to as “boho”—uses textures and patterns to create a look. This style uses bold patterns mixed with neutral colors to create a chic look.
While the Bohemian design style mixes bold patterns with neutral colors, the maximalist style goes all out with bold colors and patterns put together. The maximalist style pushes back on traditional styles by emphasizing several elements that also include texture and form.
Cottage interior design uses light and texture to evoke a simpler time. By using furniture that has a rustic texture, you can create a cottage look that feels traditional.
- Mid-Century Modern
Mid-Century Modern design has had a massive impact on interior design trends and feels timeless. Bold Mid-Century Modern design uses bold lines and a streamlined form to create a look.
Organic interior design is all about the form of the objects within a room. Use organic furniture and light fixtures matched with an abundance of light to create a natural element in a room.
Now that you have the elements and trending design styles of 2022, it’s time to put them to use in your primary or secondary home.